Abac Musings

A foreign teacher at ABAC (Assumption University of Thailand) is often thought of as being a token teacher for his/her native English abilities. This Blog is "musings" about living while teaching in an international university in Southeast Asia in one of the most exotic cities in the world - Bangkok.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Presentations and the Reformation

Today my Conversation and Discussion Class gave presentations on the interview they did before the midterm. Great presentation. This class is really special with some great students. They were to interview both students and teachers about ABAC: the good, the bad and the ugly. We had three presentations and all were really top notch. The last presentation finished with a really nifty VCD film they had put together. Mr. J did a marvelous job on the film clip.

I had decided that this class would do a movie for their major project and I had already given the task of coming up with a script to one of the best students in the class, Ms. A. She had worked on the script and so we decided to have the class divide up and help her finish the script on Thursday. Mr. J will obviously be heavily involved with the technical aspects of the movie. We do not have much time so we have to "rock and roll" to get it done.

I passed out the results of the midterm. No big surprises as everyone did really good. This is an exceptional class, with most of the students very good at English and creative thinking. The upcoming work on the movie should be interesting for me and challenging for the class.

And now for World Civilization. Reformation was the topic. Where does one start? I had only one Christian in both classes. This meant that I had to cover some basic Christian theology before the students are ready for Reformation history. This seemed to work pretty good. I went around and got some of the students involved in my explanations and, at least, I had a good time.

We made it through the entire Reformation chapter without a hitch. I checked and rechecked to see if the students were following my lecture. Luther and Calvin. Luther and Calvin. Luther and Calvin. I also did the Henry VIII, this is better than any Thai soap opera, story. Overall, I would say that both classes seemed to follow the Reformation as best as can be expected. I used a lot of energy in "preaching the Luther style" and demonstrating how Henry VIII took good care of his wives. I was exhausted by the end of the second class.

On Thursday we do the Enlightenment which will take just as much energy to keep it interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home